Thursday, August 13, 2009

Contest

In January, 2009, we started an investing contest.
A bunch of us began with $100K and posted our trades whenever we bought or sold.
At the end of each month we reported our portfolio balances.

On Jan 6, I bought 60,000 shares of GCE at $1.65, paid a $15 "trading fee" and was left with $985 cash. **

In March I decided I was tired of things financial ... and dropped out of the contest (tho' I still keep track of monthly balances).

Today, I took a peek at what my portfolio would be: $248K

Mamma mia! Why did I drop out #!@%&$?


**

I had originally said WTN
But they is both Canadian coal companies, eh?
In fact, I alternate 'tween WTN and GCE in my personal portfolio.

 

3 comments:

  1. And if you had alternately long/short traded the $99,000 WTO.TO everyday,from open to close, you would now have $333,280 after subtracting $30 round trip transaction fees each day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny!
    Or

    ... bought at the low each day, paid a $15 fee, then sold at the high (and paid the $15).
    Mamma mia!
    You'd be a billionnaire, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pietro

    I found your site by chance. I know you are bored with financial stuff but you may still enjoy

    www.mathestate.com

    RJB

    ReplyDelete