Thursday, January 21, 2010

VDX

Many, many years ago I played with the Directional Motion Indicator DMI, one of a jillion rituals for deciding when to Buy, Sell or Hold a stock. I was intrigued by the logic behind the method and extended it to include Volume Weighting of stock prices (where prices associated with greater volume had greater weight). This modified ritual I called VDX.

Anyway, after ignoring the method for some ten years, I happened to run across the spreadsheet and decided to apply it to a gaggle of DOW stocks.
^DJI  HOLD^IXIC  HOLDAA  SELLAIG  BUY
AXP  BUYBA  BUYC  SELLCAT  BUY
DD  HOLDDIS  SELLF  BUYGE  BUY
HD  HOLDHON  BUYHPQ  HOLDIBM  BUY
INTC  HOLDJNJ  HOLDJPM  HOLDKO  HOLD
MCD  HOLDMMM  HOLDMO  BUYMRK  BUY
MSFT  BUYPFE  BUYPG  SELLT  SELL
UTX  BUYVZ  SELLWMT  HOLDXOM  HOLD

I never actually used VDX myself, but I did follow its signals for some time to see how well (or poorly) it worked. I found that it worked sometimes and didn't at other times ... sorta like tossing a 3-sided coin.
The spreadsheet gives pretty pictures.

I checked out my coal stock and got this:

If'n you're above or below the red lines, you Buy or Sell.
See? It said BUY over a month ago.
Then I checked my Lithium stock:

It says I should have bought it 3 weeks ago
... and now, I should hold it.

Somehow that makes me feel warm all over.

This is for my brother-in-law:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment