Monday, February 22, 2010

Stock tracker

Years ago, I made up a clumsy spreadsheet that'd track some stocks throughout the day so's I'd see when to Buy or Sell.

Alas, the spreadsheet ran continuously and my desktop PC was tied up.
Yesterday I noticed my laptop, sitting unused.
Then, as a consequence of creeping senility, I finally realized that I could let the laptop run all day (while I surfed on the desktop).
So I generated another spreadsheet that'd track a couple of my favourite stocks and beep when the price hit some upper or lower price, like this:

The prices are updated every minute or three:

I'm looking forward to trying it out today.

So why don't I just put in Buy and Sell orders?
This is more fun!

Besides, I have a hard time deciding whether hitting the upper price should be a Sell or a Buy.
Is the stock headed UP, so I should Buy?
Should I lock in my gains and Sell?

I also had a hard time figuring out how to make the spreadsheet beep.
It turns out to be a very complicated code, namely:
If Range("C7") >= Range("G7") Then Beep

Did I mention the thing about creeping senility?
 

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of senility, you may find this web site amusing:

    http://www.espenhaug.com/collector/collector.html

    As always, my apologies if you already know about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUNNY!!
    http://i50.tinypic.com/w4u3m.jpg

    ReplyDelete