Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Volume weighting

Once upon a time I got very excited about volume-weighted stock prices.
Prices associated with high volumes should have a greater weight, right?

I'd calculate the vol-wgt'd price like so:
Pvol-wgt = Pclose * Volume / (Average Volume)

Then I'd go through every conceivable Buy-Sell strategy (based upon closing prices) and substitute volume-weighted closing prices.

For some reason, I lost interest in that ritual.
Can you see why?

-----------------------------------------------

What's remarkable (to me, at least) is that the violent behaviour of the vol-wgt'd price don't change things so much.
For example, long, long ago (and far, far away) I played with a Buy/Sell ritual called ADX: the Average Directional Index.
When I introduced volume-weighting (and called the result VDX), it don't hardly change the Buy/Sell signals.

For example:
(Without weighting it's ADX. With weighting it's VDX.)







Indeed, only 3 of the 30 DOW stocks have their (current) signals changed.

 

1 comment:

  1. Here is an interesting article on the weighted matter:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Beyond-Market-Cap-Alternative-ifunds-4030394843.html?x=0&.v=1

    ReplyDelete