Thursday, September 17, 2009

more COAL

Recently, I generated a Coal Index ('cause I couldn't find none on the Internet, where I could download historical values to a spreadsheet).

Thanks to Danyon, who pointed out a neat "Global" Index: the STOWE INDEX, I can compare the two.

Unlike "my INDEX" (which includes a dozen U.S. coal mining companies), STOWE involves coal companies around the globe - primarily in China and the U.S. (including companies that manufacture mining equipment).

Staring intently at the charts for the past year, it seems that there's been a recent divergence:

Very interesting, eh?

So I take a peek at the largest component of the STOWE, China Shenhua Energy (over the past six months):

Mamma mia!

Shenhua is China's largest coal mining company, followed by China Coal Energy (which has done equally well and is 2nd in the STOWE index.).


Check out the past year.
Compared to Shenhua, the largest U.S. outfit, BTU, can't get out of 1st gear!!


P.S.
There's also an ETF that emulates the STOWE Index: KOL:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment