Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Moon & Venus

When somebody sees a bright star and asks: "Whos' that?"
I always say: "That's the planet Venus."
Is it?
Who knows, but Venus is the planet closest to earth.
Anyway, early this morning (about 4 AM) I saw the Moon beside one of them very bright "stars".
I said to myself: "That's the planet Venus."
Alas, I'm probably just as gullible as others, so (to be sure) I looked at my very sexy SkyMap and found this:


I went back to bed feeling oh so clever.
Now I just have to figure out what that means.
-------------------------------------------

I'm lousy at imagining the sun-moon-earth configuration.
Once upon a time I convinced several people (as gullible as I) that the Moon follows the path of the Sun.
Alas, it must have been lunacy on my part, 'cause I can clearly see (after hours of staring at both) that the moon does not follow the sun ... tho' it's close.
In fact (after a Google or three), I discover that the Moon's path is about 5 degrees from the Sun's path (at maximum separation).

 

1 comment:

  1. Here is the Stowe Global Coal Index Download URL >>>

    http://stowe.snetglobalindexes.com/indexdata_form.php

    ReplyDelete