Monday, November 9, 2009

Holy Books

I am often appalled, surprised and/or confused by conflicting passages from various Holy Books ... in particular the Bible and the Qur'an.


I read here:
"... whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind."
Yet, I read here:
"So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them"

Then I read [35]:
"For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
and a man's foes will be those of his own household. "

Then I read [44]:
"Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"

Perhaps the only passage I fully understand is this one: that a husband is the head of the family and may beat his wife if she is disobedient.

Though I often mention this divine edict to my wife, she just laughs ... and I fear I may be beaten if I persist.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment