Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Indexes

To calculate the DOW Index, you add all the prices.
It's described as a "Price-Weighted Index".

Similarly, the S&P is described as a "Market-Cap Weighted Index" ... presumably because its calculation requires you to add all the Mkt Caps.

I've always felt that describing these Indexes as "Weighted" was misleading.
Perhaps that's because I was thinking "Weighted Averages".
Perhaps that's the result of creeping senility.
Anyway, now I'm happy.
I see that the Gains are weighted averages - even if the Indexes aren't.

Besides my confusion over the use of the adjective "weighted", I've always been annoyed at the use of a Sum of Prices to generate an Index. I imagine Berkshire-Hathaway as being a component of a 31-stock DOW. It's weight would be obscene. It'd generate 99% of the value of the Index.

On the other hand, as the component of a 31-stock "Mkt-Cap Weighted" DOW, it's weight would be respectable.



 

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say Hello, and Thanks for the very interesting website and blog. I have enjoyed my visit, and will be back.
    Hello and Thanks!
    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Granny:
    Welcome aboard :^)

    This BLOG keeps me outta my wife's hair!

    ReplyDelete