Tuesday, January 26, 2010

self-publishing

You know that novel I was gonna publish? **
Well, it ain't supposed to cost me nothin'.

I just got e-mail from the "publisher" asking for $18 to send me the manuscript for proof-reading ... then some other shipping & handling charge.

Then it's gonna cost $22.17 if anybody wants to buy it.
Then nobody in their right mind would actually pay that.
Then I decided to forget this self-publishing gig.

Since the "publisher" requires that I submit the novel in pdf format, I had bought a nifty piece of software that converts MS Word docs to pdf. ($45). There's free software, but this was so slick. (It also converts images and Excel files to pdf - whatever that means.)

Once upon a time I wrote a calculus text and paid a few bucks to have it converted to pdf so's I could make it available on gummy-stuff.

Years ago, somebuddy on a discussion forum mentioned that s/he was partially blind and couldn't get info on stocks. I wrote a spreadsheet (described here) that downloaded info on a stock and pasted a text message which could be read with text-to-speech software. Though I tested it with a "free" version of the software, I figured users would have the sexier version ... so I bought it. Click! Click!

Heidi complains that I'm spending too much money.
I reckon it's a good thing that she controls the finances in our family else we'd be broke.

**
I was looking for any online reference to my novel and happened across this.
There, I read this:

Huh?
(Well, at least I'm in good company, eh?)

P.S.

 

4 comments:

  1. Google translates that from Turkish to English as "Willow trees has never been so scary!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny!
    While browsing the blogger manual, I ran across this:
    Lorem ipsum vim ut utroque mandamus intellegebat, ut eam omittam ancillae sadipscing, per et eius soluta veritus

    Supposing it's Latin, I try translating.
    Click!
    I larn something every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.
    While wandering thu the manual, I discover there's a sexy new blogger version ... so I asked for it.

    Now I can use italics and even links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I get it now!

    "Lorem Ipsum" is Latin for Bumph! LOL

    ReplyDelete