Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sexist language

After a few years as Chairman of the Applied Math Dept. at U of Waterloo, they changed the name to "Chairperson". That was a good idea.

Now, the "powers that be" were thinking of changing the words of the Canadian National Anthem.
It now includes the phrase In all thy sons command.
That's sexist, right?
How about In all thy sons and daughters command?

And while were at it, we should consider these changes:
Fatherland to PersonLand
Mankind to Personkind.
Manpower to Personpower
Freshman to Freshperson
Statesman to Statesperson
Human to Huperson
and maybe
manual to man-amd-woman-ual.

And how about mail?
It even sounds sexist, right?

I understand, too, that referring to the great painters of the past as Old Masters is sexist.

When Canada went metric, I assumed that mileage would change to ... uh ... kilometre-age.
Fortunately (for me, at least), we still talk of "mileage".

I guess I'm just too old for this newSpeak.


1 comment:

  1. Seeing the crisis that OUR women folks go through over this subject makes me very happy to be born a man.

    ReplyDelete