Wednesday, June 2, 2010

plasma TV

Years (and years) ago, I was a graduate student at the University of Illinois.
Although Heidi was a nurse and generated most of our income (so she got a PhT: Putting Hubby Through), I got a research assistantship.

It meant working, part time, at the Coordinated Science Labs (CSL).
While there, I met Don Bitzer and Gene Slottow.
Gene told me about a hair-brained scheme for displaying images on a screen.
It involved making ionized gases glow, using electrical impulses.
Yeah ... sure.
Gene was a nice guy, but that scheme would never fly.

Last night, Heidi & I decided to buy a 50" 1080p, 600 Hz TV.
I had to look up the significance of "600 Hz". **
While browsing, I also checked on how plasma TVs worked.
I had already studied HDTVs a while back.
(That's when we decided to buy our current 42" 1080i TV.)

Wait! Plasma TVs?
Was that Gene's hair-brained scheme?
So I looked up Who Invented Plasma TV?.

Sure enough: Slottow & Bitzer!!
Mamma mia!

-------------------------------------------

**
The moving images on a TV screen are made up of a sequence of still images, displayed 60 times each second. (That's 60 Hz, eh?)
However, the glowing pixels fade a mite before the next still image is displayed.
To overcome this, each pixel is "flashed" 10 times for each still image.
That makes a 60 x 10 = 600 Hz refresh rate for each pixel.

-------------------------------------------

P.S.
While looking at stuff on good ol' Gene Slottow, I discovered a paper he wrote in 1964 in which he says:

Special thanks go to Dr. Peter Ponzo for programming assistance and for a series of valuable discussions on the mathematics of electron dynamics.

Though Heidi & I weren't sure whether we should go with another plasma or switch to LCD, now I realize that we gotta go plasma!
Why, I practically invented plasma TV myself!!

-------------------------------------------

I understand that some U.S. companies became interested in the Bitzer-Slottow plasma display, but soon gave it up.
However, some Japanese engineers became regular visitors to their lab.
Guess who makes plasma TVs today?

 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, and I suppose you helped Al Gore invent the internet too, lol.

    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helped Al Gore?
    WRONG!
    He gave me encouragement while I invented.

    P.S.
    David Letterman said (about Gore):
    Although he didn't invent the Internet, he did invent those annoying bits of punctuation that look like sideways faces :-)

    as well as:

    While riding his bicycle one day, Gore accidentally invented the orgasm.

    ReplyDelete