Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Coal Index

I've been looking for an Index that covers a bunch of coal stocks, like the DOW covers 30 big-name stocks and the S&P500 covers 500 of 'em.
I also needed to have historical prices, available from Yahoo.

Since I couldn't find such an Index, I made my own.
To this end, I generated a spreadsheet, described here.
Note that the Coal Index is up over 80%, beating the DOW (at least for the past six months):


There's a dozen U.S. coal stocks in the Index and, if I compare that Index to my Canadian coal stocks, WTN and GCE (on the Toronto Exchange), I get this (over the past six months):


It makes me very happy!
Indeed, one of these coal stocks done good in a trading contest.


 

4 comments:

  1. I also own BTU & ACI.

    Here are some Coal Indices: ^DJUSCL, COAL, & KOAL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danyon:
    Can you gimme a URL for them Indexes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about my Google Search Results, lol >>>

    http://www2.sandbox.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stock+indices+list&as_q=coal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, I need historical index values which can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet :^)

    ReplyDelete