Tuesday, January 26, 2010

about gummy-stuff.org

<rant>
For over ten years I've been responding to requests.
Sometimes it just takes a minute or two.
Sometimes it takes hours, providing a formula, a tutorial, a chart, a spreadsheet.
Some take the form of a jillion byte spreadsheet with the demand request:   fix it so it works.
Half the time I never got so much as a thank-you.

Once I got six requests in a single e-mail.
I replied to all six, but got no response.
Several months later the same guy sent me eight more requests.
I started a response with several words known only to me and Mephistopheles.

I often get requests that ask me to reproduce expensive software that downloads and analyzes stocks.

Once I was asked to join the Motley Fool.
I did and within a month had twenty six requests.
I answered sixteen ... then quit.

My opinion of Homo sapiens was diminished.
I still have little respect for the species: Click!

In March, 2009, we went on a cruise.
When I returned, there were over two dozen requests.
It would have taken me days to respond.
That's when I really I felt my age.
What used to be fun was now a chore.

I decided that this must end
... hence the notice on gummy-stuff.

Since then I get very few requests ... and the downloads from my web site have increased dramatically (from 25 GB in Feb/09 to 65 GB in Mar/09).

I am one happy 75-year-old.
I can spend more time writing and painting and still maintain my interest in things financial (without the headaches).
</rant>

 

7 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU...YOU HAVE DONE A LOT OF WONDERFUL THINGS FOR PEOPLE AND I HAVE TAKEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASK MY FATHER IN HEAVEN TO SMILE UPON YOU. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SPREADSHEETS AND YOUR CALCULUS TUTORS AND YOUR...etc.... LOOKING FORWARD TO READING SOME MORE OF YOUR BOOKS AND ENJOYING YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS BLOG.
    BY THE WAY, DO YOU HAVE ANY ANALYSIS AND OPINION ON THAT NEW-WAVE DISEASE THAT ALL OF THESE YOUNGSTERS SEEMS TO HAVE, THINK IT IS CALLED ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. DO YOU THINK IT IS LIKE GLOBAL WARMING AND BABY CRIB DEATH? I SURE DO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a yeoman job of creating and providing your valuable resources to the public, myself included. I only regret I hadn't found your gummy site sooner. I thank you again for giving freely and graciously of your valuable time and breadth of insightful knowledge. I am greatly appreciative of your efforts. I wish you and Heidi continued good health and prosperity. (and loads of bliss!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.
    I reckon I needed to get that off my chest, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter: Thank you for all the great stuff on your blog and web site. Is the CD still available? I would like to add that small amount to your retirement fund? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Is the CD still available?"
    Yup! Still available.
    Heidi keeps complaining that she has to buy jewel cases, blank CDs, envelopes and stamps and run down to the post office to mail the CDs.

    So she gets all the money
    :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the chuckle. I will only have to buy one stamp and one envelope. Will set it up this weekend. Will send cash so maybe you can hide it somehow. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sir,

    I have a website too about another subject and have spend countless hours to answer to questions. Few years ago, people was nice in order I answered their questions, but I seldomly get any rewards. Now, they don't even tell "hello" or "please", they just ask questions and don't read materials on the Website.

    Anyway, I have just discovered your website and sheets and learn a lot. I would have been happy to have a math teacher like you!!!

    Kindest regards from France

    Fabrice

    ReplyDelete